Lake_Sky_Chi_

Chicago Centerfold © missy weimer 2004

        In Chicago, from 1998 to 2005, I took hundreds (thousands?) of pictures of cars, trucks, vans, cityscapes, streets, and alleyways. I never stopped taking pictures of Vans, but in January of 2005, I had a solo show at heaven gallery on Milwaukee Avenue.

Lake.Sky.Vans. is an investigation into Chicago’s local visual vernacular at a specific time in history, 1998 - 2005. 350+ photographs that show how this city’s individuality is profoundly realized through these elements, Vans proving to be the most transcendental of the three.
Identity is not a passive experience for the van owner. Vans on the streets of Chicago make statements about class, climate, family, consumption, and economics. In this context, the word “Vans” is used as a metaphor for vans and other vehicles specific to the Midwestern region and inherent in this climate and culture, including - large sedans, modified scavenger trucks, station wagons, and Suburbans, generally circa 75-92.”


    The project was featured on NPR's 848 show with Steven Edwards and they were nice enough to re-air it just before the opening. On an absolutely frigid January evening, a steady stream of people packed the show from beginning to end. A night I will never forget. To feel the love that people had for the Vans really touched me. Loving Vans is/was loving ourselves and the beauty and diversity of our neighborhoods.
   Suddenly, I can look back on this project without feeling like I’m looking backward. Rather, I am admiring a previous time and place that no longer exists and tapping into a love that still does. Back then, I resisted the idea that I was a documentary photographer, today I completely disown the categorization. This is a map of my heart.

Follow along @Lake_Sky_Chi_ where I post new photos from the project every day.

Enjoy the ride!

Love, Missy


P.S.
Related writing: Dear [redacted],

Comments

Popular Posts