Suburban Problems

At Ashland Jewel(s), 2004
I got the news that a dear friend has passed away, way too soon. I’m gonna tell you one small story about her...but I have more than I can count.

My girl Jill’s brother used to have a battered white Suburban. This was 2002ish and he lived on Bosworth by the Ashland Jewel(s). It got stolen a bunch of times and always turned up close by looking worse for the wear. Eventually, he agreed to let her drive it as she lived on Thomas (at Western) and it seemed like maybe it would be more low-key over there.

East Village, 2004
(Upon reflection, IDK why...??).

So a few days after getting it she comes outside in the morning and the ride is sort of parked weird, she goes to check it out and the door is ajar. Steering column stripped and the thing is out of gas. Turns out someone tried to steal it and the transmission took that exact moment to take a shit, haha!Thieves got it started but couldn’t go anywhere. They ditched it still running and it ran till it was out of gas. She was like, “That’s right. My car refuses to be stolen! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.”
Anyhow, she loved the streets. She validated my love of the streets and encouraged my obsession for photographing cars, trucks, and vans. I owe her a lot. RIP to a great friend and a dope artist. My heart goes out to her family 💟 Jill 💟 Rest in Power 💫

None of these are her Suburban.

Images from Chicago, 2004

copyright me (missy weimer) 

More at lake_sky_chi_


Comments

Popular Posts