SLAPSTICK - I Hate Girls

1996
Slapstick had an outsized influence on high school me because they were local guys and about my age. This song came to me on a mixtape from a punk rock, penpal friend. It never came out on an album as far as I know.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_msjJyhws&list=RDof_msjJyhws&start_radio=1
90s Chicago punk was GRAND! There were multiple shows every weekend at the Fireside Bowl, the Pit (skatepark) in Rockford, the Elgin and Elmhurst VFW Halls and about everywhere in between, not to mention the bigger venues, the Metro, Vic, Riviera and on and on. The list of bands and shows is 25 miles long, but even all these years later I occasionally wake up with this song in my head. Of all the songs! It’s not the best, but the horns, angsty vocals and dirty recording quality work so nicely with the naive, nostalgic nature of this la-la love song.

La, la, la-la-la-la-laaaaaaaaaaa, doodling in high school. To the one that got away, I still think about you.

And as a little view into the Fireside back then.

Comments

Popular Posts